Monday, May 9, 2011

Homework- 510/11

Eyewitness to Jim Crow 
Annie Zachery Remembers


I was born June 10, 1916 in Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee, the fifth of nine children, five girls and four boys. My parents, Council Prince Rucker and Fannie Lawrence Rucker were sharecroppers and resided on Lover's Lane, now known as Twin Oak Drive. Our family unit was a very stable one. Everyone in the family shared in the planting, cultivating and the harvesting of the crop. My parents were not educated beyond the sixth grade, nevertheless, they had a lot of common sense. My mother encouraged education. Even when she was pregnant, she worked in the fields in place of her children so we could go to school. She did not want her children to have to work like she had. Being the child of a sharecropper, I was not a stranger to hard work. At the age of eight years, I was responsible for the family meals. By age twelve, I was doing the washing for the entire family on a scrub board.
The community I grew up in was very close knit. Everybody knew everybody. When we were children and if we did something that was not right or becoming, it was reported to our parents and there was no explaining. When we arrived home, we were chastised for whatever was reported.

There were three churches in the community, one Baptist and two Methodist, and our family attended them all. The reason being is that the churches did not meet every Sunday, but on different Sundays during the month, and the families went to all of them. We were all Baptist except for my father, but no one could tell the difference. The women in the churches sang and prayed just like the men. We had homecoming activities and the women would be responsible for cooking the dinner, serving it on the grounds, outside, and taking care of the children.

We had few recreation activities. There was no radio or television. We played ball as children and went to ballgames on Saturdays. On Saturday nights, we would go to church and march around and sing Christian songs. Later, there was the introduction of debate during the Saturday night gatherings, as for the subjects, I am not sure. During the debates, I would say the welcome. Other activities I remember were plating the maypole and Bible study, where we learned the books of the Bible.

When I was three, I lost my right eye in an accident, but I could not let this deter me from accomplishment. I did not get to start school until I was eight years old because of illness. My older sisters and brothers would help us younger ones with our school work if we had trouble with it. My elementary school was a one-room school with all grades, one through eight. There were about thirty students. We would walk two and a half miles to school by cutting through the woods. On rainy days, my father would load us up in the wagon and carry us to school. Elementary school was split up during the year due to sharecropping, and it took two years to complete one grade. The county was so poor that our parents would have to pay the teacher to teach straight through cotton-picking time. I was almost disenchanted with school in the seventh grade. There were two students in my class, myself, and a young man. The young man did not go during the pay period and at the end of the year, he passed to the eighth grade right along with me, and I had continued in school all year. I thought this was very unfair.

I started working outside the home when I was in the eighth grade. I worked in private homes for three dollars and fifty cents per week. While working, I started Holloway High School. Due to lack of transportation, I boarded with a woman in the city, close to the school, during the week, for one dollar and twenty-five cents per week. On weekends, I went home. It sometimes meant walking three and a half miles when there was no one to pick me up. During my high school years, I had to work to maintain myself in order to obtain my education. I served at parties given by whites. At school social gatherings, I helped with the refreshments. I also babysat for money to help pay my way. I also substitute taught in the elementary schools, for experience, not for pay. I maintained the highest average in my class and received an academic award for best all-around student in 1937 from Holloway High School. My senior year, the honor was given to a male student whose family had more money than my family.

I graduated from Holloway High School in 1939, and started on a new journey in my life. I enrolled at Tennessee Agriculture and Industrial State College in Nashville, Tennessee, now Tennessee State University. Tuition was ten dollars. I lived with a cousin the first year in college; this was a real adjustment. As I recall, the morals were not as high as I expected. The fact that some of the girls were slipping out of the dorms to go drinking with the guys from Meharry was not what I expected to see or not at all what I was used to. The same things were happening then as now, except then, they were hidden. Getting oriented into college life was difficult at first. My grades were not the best, but after the first year, my grades began to improve. The curriculum consisted of subjects such as English, science, geography, home economics. I remember only one course on blacks or Negroes. My major, home economics, was what most of the girls majored in. Otherwise, they studied some related teaching subject, but no professions such as medicine or law. One requirement for Home Economics majors was home management. The students, ten girls, would stay on campus for three months and take care of a house, including bringing a real child in for them to care for. This was in preparation for them to know how to manage a home.

My second year in college, I boarded with a Ms. Porter on Eighteenth Avenue in Nashville, which was closer to school. I either walked to school or caught a Jitney, an illegal taxi. Ms. Porter took good care of me. Some nights, I studied until four in the morning after working until twelve midnight, serving parties. Ms Porter would knock on my door and tell me to go to bed because I had studied long enough and I needed my rest. During my junior year at college, I worked for this real nice white lady. I cooked, cleaned and kept a little boy who was very fond of me. The white lady would buy clothes and wear them one time and then give them to me. I recalled having been given an evening dress which I shared with my sisters. My bust was always bigger than theirs, so I added a piece in the dress and when my sisters would wear it, I would take the piece out.

In 1943, four years after beginning, I graduated from A and I College with a degree in home economics, which was unusual because I carried eighteen hours a semester and finished my curriculum in four years.

After college, I could not find a job, so I went to Monteagle, Tennessee, and worked as a cook. In September 1943, I got a job as a teacher in Decaterville, Tennessee, where I stayed until Christmas. I then got a job in a two-teacher school in Celina, Tennessee. Celina is located near Cookeville, Tennessee. It was a little town about six miles in the hills with nothing but black people and no social outlet. There, I taught the upper four grades. The teachers were responsible for taking care of the school building and building their own fires. The towns surrounding the school were very prejudiced, and I was told not to get caught in them after dark. I stayed in Celina until an opening in my field became available in Winchester, Tennessee, at the high school there. I taught in Winchester about two years. From Winchester, I went to Vienna, Georgia, a plantation town. There, I actually lived on a plantation. This was during the late 1940s. I remember that a bell was rung for everything that the blacks did on that plantation including eating. My father wanted me to move back closer to home, so I returned to Celina, Tennessee, the closest position I could get to Murfreesboro. I returned home in 1952, when my father became ill and died. A game warden named Mr. Walter Taylor was influential in getting me a job teaching in the Rutherford County area. I started teaching at the Dillard School located in the Barfield area. I also went back to school and received an Elementary Teaching Certificate in 1952. I stayed at Dillard School until getting a job at Emery School. The position at Emery was based on the number of students enrolled, so I picked up students and brought them to school so I could meet the attendance requirement. I taught there until the Shiloh Elementary School opened where I taught second grade.

I enjoyed teaching very much, but was highly disappointed when integration of schools came about. Integration was hard on the black children, because the white teachers categorized the black children as being hard to learn and having bad behavioral problems. The black students were not pushed to perform to the best of their abilities because of low expectations from the white teachers. Integration also dampened my enthusiasm. When I was placed a Walter Hill Elementary School, a result of integration, I was the only black teacher there for one year. Upon my arrival there, the principal, a poorly educated white man, gave me nothing to do for the first two weeks. After two weeks, I was given a position team teaching; then given thirteen of the worst students they could find, perhaps to discourage me. I stayed with it and after two years, I was assigned the second grade. I am proud of the fact that I stayed in the teaching profession for thirty-five years. I am also very proud of the fact that three of my family members finished college by helping each other. Only the girls finished because the boys were pulled out of school to help in the fields. Today I reside in Rutherford County at the family home place, as a retired school teacher. I delayed marriage until age forty-nine, and have been widowed for over twenty years. I am a member of the Retired Teachers Association, Better Living F.E.A.(Family Education Association), Smithfork District Women Association, Senior Women Missionary of the Tennessee State Missionary Baptist Convention, Trustee and Mothers Board of Walnut Grove Missionary Baptist Church.



1. How would you describe Ms. Zachery's childhood in the South?
2. Why was integration difficult, according to Ms. Zachery ?

21 comments:

  1. 1) Ms. Zachery grew up with a family of 11 including her parents , where the family sharecropped. As a young kid she attended 3 different churches and participated in their activities . At the age of 3 she lost her eye sight due to an accident but that didnt stop her from getting the education she needed. She started out attending elementary school; Ms. Zachery had to walke 2 in a half miles to get there but on rainy days she recieved a ride on the wagon from her father.

    2)According to Ms.Zachery, integration was difficult because blacks were viewed low and they were no pushed to do best out of their own abilities because of low expectations from the white teachers.

    - Hannah Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.Ms. Zachery's childhood in the south was tough. She have to prepare meals for the whole family at the age of 8 and start washing dishes at the age of 12. The neighbourhood she lives in where everyone were knit close together, somebody will always have an eyes on her even if her parents were not home. If her siblings or her does something wrong, they will be punish and rebuke for it. She lost one of her eye in an accident at the age of three, which result as not starting school till the age of eight. She have to walk two and a half miles to school everyday, when the school split down, it took her two years to complete a grade level. She started working outside of home in eighth grade; private homes, serving whites at parties, babysat.

    2.According to Ms. Zachery, integration was difficult because some white teacher sees the black children as hard to learn and has bad behaviour problems. The black students were distrain by the white teachers end in a result of incapable to express their best performance. Integration also distrained her enthusiasm in teaching, because of the partiality acts made by the white principal., who given her all the vile students the school can possibly found.
    -Angela Chen

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Ms. Zachery's childhood in the South was very hard for her. She started working at a very young age to help her family out. She was also engaged in religious activities at church, and to learn about the bible with her family because there was no type of media for the children to be entertained by. Ms. Zachery started school late because of her illness and her country was very poor it could barely afford to pay for education. Ms. Zachery worked very hard and earned little money during her childhood days.

    2. Integration was difficult according to Ms. Zachery because white teachers categorized black children as slow learners and as having bad behavior. They underestimated black children and segragted them from other children. White teachers didn't engcourage the black children to try as best of their ability just because of their race. The High School Ms. Zachery taught at didn't give her much work for two weeks and after that, they gave her the worst students they can possibly find to try to discourage her.


    -Karina Lara pd. 5

    ReplyDelete
  4. MS. Zachery's childhood consisted of very hard work while maintaining high academic grades. She had to work extremely hard during the hard times to provide for her family and allow her to pay for shelter and school. She had to take the responsibility of many jobs and still manage to win an award for best all around student.

    Integration was difficult according to Ms.Zachery because black students were not treated the same and were not pushed to their best abilities academically because not much was expected from them. Also, because she was the only black teacher the first year she was given the worse students as a way to discourage her.
    -ciara diaz

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. As a child growing up in the south , Ms. Zachery was forced to grow up faster than any of us can ever imagine . She had the responsibilities that most of our mother take care of such as dinner and laundry at a fairly young age . Her family followed a very religious structure , attending mass when taken place and attending church activities . Ms. Zachery was educated in a one room class with grades 1-8 and was working outside of home by the eight grade . Although she was always top of the class , it was male students who received all the credit .
    2. According to Ms. Zachery , integration was difficult , especially on students , because the white teachers categorized black students as having bad behavior and being difficult to teach . They weren't push to give their best therefore falling to what most whites expected , failure . This discouraged Ms. Zachery , but it didn't stop her from teaching .

    Michelle Velez
    Pd 05

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Ms. Zachery's childhood in the South can be described as tremendously laborious. At a very young age, Annie Zachary endured hours of hard labor and responsibility in her family. It most definitely is not an easy task to be responsible for the family meals or washing for the entire family on a scrub board. Not to mention there were expectations that had to be meet, and young people had to abide by rules. Childhood in the South consisted of very tedious chores and tasks.

    2. According to Ms. Zachary, integration was difficult because it segregated black children from white. Black students were often discouraged, and though to have bad behavioral problems and could not be easily taught. This harsh attitude did affect Ms. Zachary but she persisted in teaching. She managed to stay in the teaching profession for a remarkable thirty five years.

    -Rebecca Ramdeholl, Pd. 5

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Ms. Zachery's childhood was very hard and difficult because of the poor conditions that her family lived in. Children were put to work early in the fields or house chores. She had a big family which meant more chores. Her family was not very educated. Ms. Zachery had to take care of family meals and also the family laundry all on a scrub board. Hard work was no stranger to her.
    2. Integration was difficult according to Ms. Zachery because the black students in school were not pushed to their limits because of low expectations of them by the whites. Ms. Zachery was also not given any work to do in the first 2 weeks of working at a school. It seemed as if the whites and richer were given more luxuries and chances in life than blacks. -Wayne Caison

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Ms. Zachery's childhood in the South was very poor and harsh. Her parents were not educated. They were sharecroppers like many other African-Americans. Although her parents were uneducated, they had a lot of common sense. Her mother always encouraged her to be educated. The town she was living in was poor but very close knit. They often went to churches and had activities. There was no radio or TV, the only entertainment was play ball and went to ballgames, or they would go to church and march around and sing Christian songs. The schools in the town were also very poor. They had to put one through eight grade in the same room. Ms. Zachery would have to walk to school everyday. Although the conditions were bad, Ms. Zachery did not give up on her education and maintained the highest average throughout her high school years. Her childhood was different and unfair compared to the whites. The whites were rich and educated. But on the other hand, the colored were sharecroppers and had to work harder than the whites.

    2. Integration was difficult according to Ms. Zachery because she was the only black teacher in the school and the black children were known as being hard to learn and having bad behavioral problems. The principal then gave her 13 of the worst students so they could discourage her so she could quit. There was a lot of discrimination and racism among the whites and blacks, even between teachers and students.

    - Priscilia Phang (5th Period)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) Ms.Zachery's childhood in the South was tough. She grew up around hardworking people. Her mother especially, because of the fact that she worked hard to put her kids through school. Ms.Zachery's main focus was always school. At one point she even had multiple jobs while maintaining a really high average.

    2)According to Ms.Zachery, integration was difficult because the white teachers categorized the black children as being hard to learn and having bad behavioral problems. The black students were not pushed to perform to the best of their abilities because of low expectations from the white teachers.

    -Rebecca Cipriana

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Ms. Zachery's childhood in the South was full of many chores and tasks. At a young age, Eight years old, she had many responsibilities. She was in charge of the family meals and also washes her family's clothes. But the family was unified, and they went to churches. There wasn't much entertainment around like TVs and radios so instead, they would play ball, sing Christian songs, and have Bible study.
    2. Integration was difficult according to Ms. Zachery because in schools, the white teachers would categorize the race of students. The black students would not get the same treatment as the white students and weren't encouraged as much. They were preconceived to have bad behaviors and had hard time to learn. Which was really unfair.

    ~Jennifer Wu

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) If I was in Ms.Zachery's shoes I will be so mad at myself. I will be so sad and hopeless. I will ask myself why I was born in this era because people went through a lot. Kids was suppose to walk to school. They had to walk 2 1/2 miles. People started working in a young age. This will never happen in our society now. I'll say this was painful childhood beacause when your a child your suppose to have freedom and fun. Her childhood was painful. One good part in her childhood was church. She still had hope. Which was God.

    2) Intergration was the harsh on the blacks. In the story you read that black people were pushed to achieve acedemic excellence. They weren't getting the right education a white person will get. Things weren't fair. White people had the easy way out.

    philip hwang 5th pd

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1.Ms. Zachery’s life was difficult and she went through many struggles. She was a hard worker and did work that children normally wouldn’t do. Even though she lost her right eye she didn’t want to give up. She had worked outside of home when she was in 8th grade for only 3 dollars and 50 cents a week. Although she worked so hard she was able to graduate from Holloway High School, and went onward to college. Overall Ms. Zachery’s life was very challenging.

    2.Ms. Zachery enjoyed teaching but was disappointed because of integration of schools. Integration was hard on black children because the white teachers labeled the black children as being difficult to learn, and bad behavioral issues.
    Purna Talukder period 5

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1) Ms. Zachery's childhood in the south was exhausting. She worked with her family in the field from a young age. She cooked and washed everything for the family. She did not have time to go out and party, or have fun. She had to help out her family and earm money to go to school. She worked hard to get where she wanted to be, but her life was not easy. It was harsh and unfair. The family who were rich and were able to pay the school good money to have their child go to school got awards they did not deserve. Ms. Zachery could work her hardest with sweat and tear, but not get an award for it because she did not pay the school a high amount to have them teach her. In order to continue with her education, she had to keep moving around to live with random people. She also had to work part time to pay for their kindness of letting her live with them.

    2) Integration was difficult because many white folks believe black children were rebels and would never keep up with the other students academically. They believed they had the nastiest behavior and no teachers pushed the black children to work hard on their school work because all of them had low expectations for them. Ms. Zachery also encountered difficulty because she was black herself. The principal of the school gave her no work for the first few weeks and when she did have work, he assigned her to the worst class to teach.

    Cindy Yam

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1) Ms. Zachery's childhood in the South was very tedious and strict. Being the child of a sharecropper had Ms. Zachery working very hard. At a young age she was responsible for the family meals and for washing for the entire family on a scrub board.Everyone knew each other in Ms. Zachery's community and if the children did something wrong,their parents were informed. There was no privacy since everyone was so close. Ms. Zachery's family was also very poor which made things harder. Education meant a lot to her parents so school was a major thing. Ms. Zachery would walk to school which was 2 miles away but on rainy days, her father dropped her off on a wagon. All in all, life was very harsh because of the poverty they lived in.
    2) According to Ms. Zachery, integration was difficult because she had to start teaching at a new school. She was the only black teacher there and the white poorly educated principal gave her no work the first two weeks and when he finally did give her a class, he picked out the school's worst 13 students perhaps to discourage her. However Ms. Zachery kept the job and worked harder with them. Integration brought down her enthusiasm because she saw that black children had it hard on them since white teachers didn't expect much from them but their bad behavior.
    -Navjeet Kaur

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1.Ms. Zachery had a hard childhood life, but he did not become pessimistic because of that. His family economic maybe was not so good but his mother still did her best effort to afford children's educational tuition. Moreover, he lost his right eye in a accident, that's really sad though...

    2.Because of integration, different races of people have to go to the same school, but inside the school, there was a serious races problem, students got separated based on their skin color so it's more difficult to teachers to teach and to treat every student fairly.
    -Yichen

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1.her life was very harsh because at the age of 3 she started to work, she was never given any finalcial money from the goverment, and also her family didnt support her with money. She has always worked for her education, life treated her badly and harshly, also society was very tough on her
    2. Intergration wa hard because between the black an white kids there was still racism, and not only th white student also the teachers hated the baclk students because of their miss behavior and because tbey didnt want to learn in schoool


    Luis Amesquita

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1.Ms.Zachery lived a very tough life. She had to work hard and go to school. Going to school would often be a struggle for her. She also lost her right eye in an accident which made her life even harder.

    2.Ms.Zachery says that integration was very difficult because they were looked down upon and were said to have behavioral problems. They were also not encouraged to stay in school.

    -Camilo Jimenez

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1.) Ms Zachery's childhood in the South can be described as contaminated by racism in hardship with 8 other siblings. She was a sharecropper in Tennessee, not really too educated. Separated, and really religious in her ways. She had to work in the 8th grade for her poor family in her education. She really had to work to get into an integrated college, which brought up new opportunity for her life.

    2.) The Integration in society was difficult due to the responsibilities needed to posses. She was a teacher but it made it hard to integrate because she was the only black teacher. The white teachers with the black students were in difficulties. The white teachers always characterized the black students as bad behavioral. When she personally was integrated, the poorly educated principal gave her the worst part of the job, trying to discourage her as a teacher. It dampened her enthusiasm but she still maintained her career for 35 years.

    -Jeremy Torres

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. Ms.Zachery's childhood was filled with hardships and obstacles. First being, that she lost her right eye in an accident at age 3. She walked long distances to get an education. She also had to endure a classroom filled with over 30 students, the grades varying from first to eighth grade. The duration of completing one grade took two years. She lost out to an award her senior year to a man whose family had more money.

    2. According to Ms.Zachery integration was difficult because white teachers had low expectations for their colored students. Thus, not pushing them to be the best they can be. Following that, these teachers categorized black students as hard to teach and condemned with bad behavior. Being the only black teacher was another obstacle given to Ms.Zachery. Another curve ball was thrown her way, when they gave her 13 of the worst students to teach. She didn't let that knock her down though. After two years, she was assigned to teach the second grade.

    -Chatwadee Kumchumnan
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1) Zachery's life in the south was very difficult. he had to go through so much to not be poor. like how he has to walk so long to go to school and pay the teacher to teach him. when he became older it was kind of easy for him because he was a teacher and made money. he was a widow so life was lonely for him. overall his life was bad.
    2) integration was very difficult according to zachery because the white teachers always looked down on the black kids. the white teachers always thought African American children were hard to teach. so they didn't push then enough for them to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1) Ms. Zachery's childhood in the south was challenging but it was what she was accustomed to. She made the best of what she had and thrived to be the best student she could be, despite the hardships she faced.

    2) According to Ms. Zachary intergration was difficult becuase black children were not pushed by white teachers. Also white teachers would automatically think the black children had behavioral problems and were hard to teach and would have difficulty learning.

    -Jasmine Davis

    ReplyDelete